Every person who has a minor know-how of computers has certainly used a pen drive at least once in their life. But there are few people who have an idea of securing their pen drive using a password. How to set a password on pen drive without any app? Read on to find out.
Setting a password on pen drive without any app is a fairly easy process. It is also an important consideration to save your data from being accessed by people who are not supposed to view it. It is mandatory to set a password on a pen drive in order to save your precious information from being manipulated by someone who should not view it. You will not need any software to set a password on a pen drive. Read on to find out how to set a password on pen drive without any app.
How to set a password on pen drive?
Windows provides an inbuilt function of Bit-Locker facility. It allows you to set a password for your pen drive and encrypt your important data. The steps mentioned below do not require you to download or use any kind of third party app to set a password on a pen drive.
Check also: AppLock – Manage your privacy and security
- Insert the pen drive on the computer. Go to My Computer. Right click the pen drive and click on the Turn on BitLocker option.
- Turn on the “Use a password to unlock the drive” option. Click on the check mark.
- You will now be asked to enter a password. This password will be used to unlock the pen drive.
- Set a strong password and click on the Next button.
- In cases of forgetting the password, you will need to use a recovery key to access the pen drive. For saving a recovery key, simply select “Save to a file” option.
- Click the Next button and you will now be able to choose the location where you want to save the recovery key.
- Click on the Save button to save the recovery key to the desired location.
- After saving the recovery file, click on the Next button. You can now select the “Encrypt used disk space only” option. This is a faster option and is best used in new PCs and drive.
- Click on the Next button and then click on the “Start Encrypting” button.
- This will now start the encryption process. After the completion of the encryption process, simply click the Close button.
- You can now remove the pen drive from the computer.
Check also: How to hide files, photos, and apps on Android?
When connecting the encrypted pen drive to a computer
When you connect the encrypted pen drive to a computer, you will be shown a lock symbol in the pen drive icon to unlock the pen drive.
- Enter the bit locker password that you previously inputted when opening the pen drive.
- If you happen to forget the password, simply use the recovery key which is saved in your computer.
You can now easily protect your pen drive from malicious viewers who wish to access your important data. Protecting your pen drive from unwanted access is the best way to protect the data from being accessed by unwanted people. Set a password on a pen drive without any app, and you are good to go!