If you are the first time in Nepal then you will not enjoy only the natural beauty but you will also love the Nepali cuisine. The word “Dal Bhat Tarkari” refers the famous Nepali food lentils, rice, and vegetables. The Nepali food “Dal Bhat Tarkari” is the foundation of Nepali cuisine that you will love and get it in every home.
If you love to take them as a meal as Nepali people you can also make this basic recipe. Just follow the below methods and feel free to experiment the Nepali food recipe.
How to make Famous Nepali Food?
(All the items are assumed for 4-6 people)
Dal (Lentil soup)
- Ghee or oil – 3 tbsp
- Ground coriander – 2 tbsp
- Ground cumin – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
- Tomatoes chopped – 1 cup
- Dal lentils – 1 cup
- Water – 4 cups
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Onion, well chopped -1
- Chili powder or well chopped chilly : 1sbsp/3 pcs
Check also: Why Is Nutrition Important For The Body?
- Basmati rice – 2 cups
- Water – 4 cups
Tarkari (Vegetable curry)
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Methi Seeds – 3-4 seeds
- Ground cumin -2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder-1 tbsp
- Ghee or oil – 3 tablespoons
- Onion, fine chopped – 1
- Garlic, fine chopped – 3 cloves
- Ginger peeled and minced – 1-inch piece
- Tomatoes well chopped – 2
- Potatoes, cubical – 2
- Cauliflower, – 1 head
- Water -1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander leaves chopped : 3-4 tbsp
For the Dal
1. Heat the saucepan and add ghee or oil to it.wit for 2-3 minutes and fry the onion over it till they are red-brown .Add the tomatoes and cooked them for 2-3 minutes. Put turmeric powder, salt and pepper powder respectively in the interval of 1 minutes. Add the cup of dal stair it for a minute and add water. Let the water boil for 45 minutes. The soup gets ready you can serve to adjust the seasoning with chopped coriander leaves.
For the Rice
Place the rice in a bowl and rinse it well with the fresh water and drain the water. Put the 4 cups of rice and add 4 cups of water in an airtight cooked pot. Cover it and boil it on a medium heat for 10 minutes .Reduce the heat and let it to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve it after 10 minutes.
For the Tarkari (Vegetable Curry)
Heat the frying pan and add ghee or oil in it. Put methi and let it be toast for 30 seconds. Immediately stair fine chopped onion, garlic, and ginger. Add turmeric powder and stair till the items are brown. Add potato, cauliflower and salt. Boil them till they are cooked. Add coriander leaves when they are cooked.
Dal Bhat Tarkari is served in a metal dish called thali. Normally the rice is in the thali with dal in a bowl and Tarkari on a plate.